Dental sedation blocks pain and helps you to remain calm and relaxed during procedures.
While the majority of treatments are carried out without the need for sedation there are a small number of procedures for which we recommend sedation. But we don’t only use sedation for complex procedures. It may also be recommended for people who have a low pain threshold, high levels of sensitivity or for those whose fear of the dentist is stopping them receiving the best treatment. For patients with a fear of the dentist, sedation is a way to alleviate anxiety, overcome fear and receive treatment in a relaxed and comfortable state.
How does it work?
There are a number of ways to administer sedation depending on the patient and treatment.
- With minimal sedation you will be aware of your surroundings and responsive throughout the procedure while feeling drowsy and relaxed.
- Moderate sedation is administered intravenously – you are still conscious but unlikely to recall much of the procedure.
What are the benefits of sedation?
- Sedation is a safe process with minimal side effects.
- Multiple treatments can be carried out in a single appointment, which saves time and is more cost effective.
- Patients remember very little about their treatment.
- Sedation can help to overcome dental anxiety which in turn can lead to improved oral health.
- Sedation is suitable for most people.